It all started in 1920 in Cantù, in the heart of Brianza, in a small family-run artisan workshop founded by Nino Romano and specialized in the production of classic style solid wood furnishings. In the mid-1940s, he entered the Mario Riva laboratory, which continued his father-in-law's activity. The brothers Maurizio and Davide Riva follow in the footsteps of their father and grandfather and in the late '70s they began working as carpenters in the shop under the house, dedicating themselves to custom furniture. An artisanal process of enhancement of natural wood begins through the use of completely natural waxes and oils, a distinctive feature of Riva 1920. In 1987 the first production unit is inaugurated and sister Anna joins the company. In 1992, Riva 1920 presented its furniture collection for the first time at the Milan International Furniture Fair.